MONDALE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION GUIDELINES
The Japan America Society of Minnesota (JASM) will award the Mondale Scholarship to undergraduate students enrolled in Minnesota colleges and North Dakota State University who want to broaden their knowledge of Japan through a combination of study and travel. Former Ambassador Mondale has continually promoted a deeper understanding of Japanese business, government, culture, and language among corporate leaders and employees in America. The Japan America Society of Minnesota is proud to have this opportunity to assist Minnesota/North Dakota students in their quest for a study experience in Japan since 1998.
The selection committee has the discretion to award $2,000 for the scholarship. The awards are specifically to be used for travel to or within Japan before, during, or after the student’s specified term(s) of study for a time period of one month or more.
Mondale Scholarship for 2021-22 is suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We will be watching the development of the travel situation and we hope to be able to support the students in 2022-23.
Notification of winner:
The application process consists of the completion and submission of the following items:
1. Application form: Google Form /PDF Form
2. Official college/university transcript(s) from all institutions attended
3. Cumulative GPA 3.0 or higher
4. Two letters of recommendation. These letters should come from a faculty member or a member of the applicant’s community of residence who knows the applicant well and who can attest to the applicant’s desire to spend time studying and traveling in Japan.
5. An essay that addresses these questions: Why do you want to study and travel in Japan? What is your goal for this experience? How do you intend to use the scholarship dollars? The essay must be no longer than two double-spaced typewritten pages.
6. A copy of the letter of acceptance from the intended program of study in Japan.
The selection committee will review all applications and select finalists for interviews. These interviews will be held in the JASM office during late July. Applicants unable to participate in the interview process may be disqualified by the selection committee.
Past winners of the Mondale Scholarship:
2020-2021 Claire Rastad • Lydia Rose
2019-2020 Daphne Iskos • Son Phan • Alison Meierhofer • Audrey Johannes
2018-2019 Elise Bearrood • Hannah Detlaff • Tatiana Gust • Mason Williams
2017-2018 Huyen Bui • Abbey Cipriano • Ezekiel Heling
2016-2017 Lisa Au • Joe Druckman
2015-2016 Anne Campbell • Maly Thao
2014-2015 Amani Mekraz • Ryan Renard • Samantha Vang
2013-2014 Jessany Williams • Eric Schneider
2012-2013 Jack Kessler • Sadie Cornforth • Pa Woua
2011-2012 David Huck • Senai Mesfin
2010-2011 Julia Clark • Laura Ullery
2009-2010 Damon Odum • Andrew Brown
2008-2009 Joanna Clark • Katherine Dunlop • Lindsey Loree
2007-2008 Aaron Brown • Victoria Miller • Keaton White
2006-2007 Teresa Kramer • Wes Robertson
2005-2006 Bryan Olsson • Vassilena Ouzounova
2004-2005 Summer Dien • Benjamin Salyards
2003-2004 Brianne Erickson • Andrea Woudenberg
2002-2003 Steven Borchart • Erin Mickens • Alicia Ohmann • Kristen Ridley
2001-2002 Jason Chan • Rebecca Grundy • Garret Smith
2000-2001 Marshall Bennett • Peter Morrow • Brian Peterson
1999-2000 Natalie Hoyle • James Conely
1998-1999 Jenelle Ehalt • Maria Murphy • Jesse Spitza